1. The Lord rewards those who diligently seek Him. Hebrews 10:35-36; 11:6
A. One of the signs of Christian maturity is perseverance. James 1:2-4
B. Satan's desire is to get us to back down, give up and live in doubt and disappointment.
TEMPTATIONS FROM THE ENEMY INCLUDE:
– The option to relax and quit our fervent pursuit of God and His promises. The deceptive voice: "Oh forget this…it's too hard…too painful…you can't handle this right now…you just might as well quit." The sin: unbelief.
– The option to walk away from what the Lord has done in us for the sake of carnal desire. The deceptive voice: "It's time to indulge your flesh…You deserve this pleasure…it's not that big a deal anyway." The sin: rebellion.
C. To fall prey to either temptation is to throw away our confidence in God. The devil can't steal it; we choose to discard it. Hebrews 10:35-39
2. We have what it takes to persevere. Philippians 1:6
A. It's not about having big faith. It's about have a little faith in a big God. Luke 17:1-6
B. Perseverance depends on not letting go of our faith. Luke 8:11-15
REQUIREMENTS FOR A GROWING FAITH:
– Rich soil. We need to have a softened, receptive heart. This requires a humble mindset and a spirit of brokenness and repentance. Jeremiah 4:3-4
– Water. We need to soak in the living water of the Holy Spirit. We should passionately seek the continual infilling of the Spirit. Hebrews 6:7, Galatians 5:25, Ephesians 5:18
– Light. We must allow God's Word to shine on us. Just as a natural seed will not germinate without the long hours of daylight, so do we need extended time in His Word. Psalm 119:10
– Heat. Only warm soil can nurture life. Heat can come from fire and it can come from pressure. James 1:2-4
– Protection. The enemy wants to rob us of the harvest by sending birds, or little foxes, to steal away seeds from God. We should be on guard against apathy, temptation, distractions, entertainments, and discouragement. Luke 8:5,11; Song of Songs 2:15
3. We should invite faith to rise in us for each situation we face. Luke 17:6
A. Living in faith is more than just living with a positive mindset. It's about living in continual relationship with the Lord. Galations 2:20; Hebrews 10:38
B. When we really know the Lord Jesus, we have the confidence to persevere in seeking Him. Hebrews 4:14-16